Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Act I Scene III



Scene III. A bar on Risa


Darkness persists for a second then a spotlight cuts through the pitch to a stage where we see a female torch singer standing at a microphone. She starts to sing an exotic equivalent of the blues which fades into the background as the camera pans over a crowded nightclub floor...
MUSIC
[Bed] The blues number continues under the rest of the scene.


to finally rest on a dingy table where we see a familiar face – Dr Phlox. He is not in his normal, birdlike, high spirits but is a melancholy drunk, staring at his drink.


A hand comes out of the dark and slaps him across the face
CUTLER
Is this the best you can do?


Phlox jumps, surprised. Cut to youngish woman who has slipped into the booth opposite him. It is Nurse Cutler, an old friend from the Enterprise.
CUTLER
[Sneering] The great Dr Phlox!
PHLOX
[Relaxing] Oh, its you!
CUTLER
You were going to break down the boundaries of medical science! The emperor was going to be so grateful that he was going to grant you unlimited funding! What happened?
PHLOX
[Hungover/Drunk] I got greedy. Go away! [His head sinks into his hands]
CUTLER
You backed the wrong side. I didn't.
PHLOX
[Deadpan] I'm so happy for you. [Bitterly] I'm alive! Although I'm sure I don't know why after what happened on the Defiant!
CUTLER
What happened on the Defiant could be the key to your future!
PHLOX
[Head snaps up, suspicious] What do you mean?
CUTLER
I mean... the Empress Hoshi trusts no one but she has a [Beat] unique way of handling her enemies. Some are too dangerous to let live, but some are too valuable to die. You proved that you were very valuable on the Enterprise and she needs a doctor in her retinue.
PHLOX
But I backed the wrong side! I was loyal to the emperor!
CUTLER
Yes, but you were loyal none-the-less. You are being given one chance to change that allegiance, to join her household and prove yourself loyal to her!
PHLOX
[Suspicious] What about you? What are you doing serving such a sadistic mistress?
CUTLER
I could be a good doctor but because I won't use my body as a bargaining chip, I'm destined to stay a nurse, the servant of Empire toadies. Sato might have slept her way to the top, but she's no fool. She surrounds herself with people who really are the best at what they do rather than survivalists. I can respect that. There are things I want to do with my life and this could be my ticket to doing them.
PHLOX
[Interested] What have I got to lose? I have nothing. No-one else will even let me on their ship. I'm just a fool to amuse them now, the Denobulan who thought he could meddle in Empire politics.


Pause
PHLOX
I'll do it!


He flings his arms wide in a theatrical gesture that smashes his tankard against the wall leaving him with just a handle which he looks at then tosses to the floor with a careless gesture
PHLOX
Lead on good nurse! I'll play the fool for the Empress 'cos wit can wound more subtly than steel.


The Nurse gabs him and starts to drag him towards the exit, shushing him. He weaves beside her, carried away with his speech
PHLOX
Barb the epithets! Load my pen with poison.
CUTLER
Shut up you drunken fool! If this is a battle of wits you're sailing into you're sunk before you fire a shot!


Stops dead so suddenly that he pulls free of her grasp, standing with hands on hips. Points to nurse and raises voice so that whole bar can hear. Starts mock ship battle with bar crowd egging them on
PHLOX
Red alert! Enemy at bearing 112 mark 5! Shiance ossifer, Identify! [BEAT] Nothing to worry about sir, its just an old scow


Cutler purses her lips and makes a grab for him but he slips past her and picks up a bottle from a nearby table
PHLOX
Shields at half a litre sir! [pauses and peers at bottle] and they're green!


Cutler puts hands on hips and narrows eyes
CUTLER
You'll need more than shields if I get my hands on you!
PHLOX
She's hailing us captain![Starts to walk around her] She's disguised as a cruiser but she's old [Beat, crowd laughs] battered [Beat] and waaay too broad at the beam! [Slaps her on the rear and staggers off towards the bar, laughing]


Cutler looks surprised, shocked then angry! Marches up behind him and grabs him by the collar. Cut to doctors face: startled
PHLOX
Argh! She's a Klingon!


Cutler swings him around, face first into a column.
CUTLER
[Angry] Klingon to this!


Doctor does slapstick fall onto his back on the dance floor. Everyone is laughing now and she starts to play to the crowd as well.
CUTLER
Its no use captain! she's too much for us! [Kneels next to him and lifts his head – he's out cold – then lets it fall] Sensors are down! [She picks up bottle, stands and rolls him on his back with her foot] We're dead in space. Phew! [Wafts hand in front of face at unpleasant smell] ...and venting plasma from all decks! Oh No! [Uncorks bottle] We've got a coolant leak! [Pours contents of bottle over his head]


She tosses the bottle on top of him then lifts her hands, palm up and shrugs. The crowd breaks into applause. Doctor starts to come 'round and she helps him up to a sitting position
PHLOX
[Groaning] Someone turn that damn alarm off! [Picks up empty bottle and squints at it] Where has all the Dilithium gone?
CUTLER
Come on you old derelict! I honestly don't know what I see in you.
PHLOX
Its my irresistible femanones... [Beat] meraphones... [Beat. Smiles drunkenly] My charm! [Puckers up for a kiss]
CUTLER
[Pulls back from his breath] Doctor, your charm could kill a zark right now! Come on! Get up!


He staggers to his feet and she pushes him towards the door. He collides with the door jamb but bounces off, blinking – he's feeling no pain right now.
PHLOX
Thank you, m'dear


She walks up to him and he looks thoughtful for a second
PHLOX
Why am I wet?

No comments:

Post a Comment